Tuesday, November 3, 2009

McDonnell "Leading" in Exit Polling, But No Call

I thought I'd seen it all in terms of election projections after the 2000 Florida debacle, but this is a new wrinkle. The polls now being closed 22 minutes in the State of Virginia, the major networks ar enot yet calling the race for Bob McDonnell the Republican but are stating that exit polling is showing him "leading".

I'm not sure what any of this means....if you are "leading" after an election is over aren't you projected to win?

I'll go ahead and project McDonnell the winner, as I have been, but maybe it is modestly good news for Democrats that the margin may be smaller rather than larger if the networks aren't ready to call it yet. Or perhaps they are just gun shy.

36 minutes until polls close in New Jersey.

No comments: